Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken

I ventured into new territory recently.  I roasted a whole chicken.  I've purchased the ones from the stores, which are great.  But, it's so much more fun to make it at home and so much easier than you could imagine.


I took it over to my friend's and she made potatoes (chips and potato stacks) for our sides.  It was delicious.


Before I jumped in, I had to consult Julia.  Julia, I knew, would have some good tips.



She recommended butter.  She also said that "you can always judge the quality of a cook...by their chicken."  No pressure.


I decided to proceed.  So, I'd like to introduce you to Chester.  I named the first turkey I ever cooked, Lester.  So, it was fitting to name the first chicken.  Don't ask why.  I do quirky things sometimes.


These were companions for my adventure-- onion, lemon, garlic, butter, rosemary and thyme.  I used dry herbs, but fresh would be lovely.  Perhaps this summer.  Oh, and salt and pepper.


I put a little olive oil in the bottom of my pot and placed my chicken inside.  Bonus points if you can tell what is wrong with this picture...


Next, I mixed about half a stick of butter with rosemary and thyme.

 
Then, I stuffed the chicken with the onion and lemon, both of which I had quartered.  I also placed a few whole garlic cloves inside.  Next, I completely covered the bird with the butter mixture, lifting the skin to rub the butter between it and the meat.  Finally, I sprinkled additional rosemary and thyme and salt and pepper on the top.  PS -- There is still something wrong with the picture.


I cooked the chicken uncovered at 450 for an hour and fifteen minutes.  Julia says that the spattering noises during cooking are a good thing.  The internal temp will be 165 and the juices run clear when it is done.  Let the chicken sit for 15 minutes after it is done cooking so the juices will retract into the meat.

And if you have figured out what is wrong in the above pictures, I have no prize for you except proof that if you do cook your chicken upside down like me, it will still turn out great! 


The chicken came out tender and juicy.  It had a wonderful aroma of herbs and nice hint of lemon.  It can be paired with so many great sides.  And there was so much meat, it's been lunch all week;  yummy!  I felt slightly like a gourmet when I made this chicken.  I'm sure you will, too, when you give it a try!

Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken

1 whole chicken, 4 lbs or so
1 onion
1 lemon
3-4 garlic cloves
Butter, softened
1/2 - 1 T. Rosemary
2 t. Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Unwrap the chicken and discard the gizzards.  Rinse and pat dry and place in the roasting pan.  Quarter the onion and lemon and place inside the chicken along with the garlic.  If there is more onion or lemon that won't fit inside the chicken, just place it in the pan.  Mix the rosemary and thyme with the butter.  Next, cover the entire chicken with the butter mixture.  Sprinkle on the salt and pepper.  Bake at 450 for an hour and fifteen minutes or until the internal temp is 165 and the juices run clear.  Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes be serving.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you made this!! I have been wanting to try to roast a chicken but just felt too intimidated to do it--but this looks so easy!!!!!!!
    ....And now I am curious, how did you roast the turkey???
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been fascinated with cooking with whole chickens recently. I spent last night making chicken and vegetable broth with my leftovers. We'll have to chat and compare recipes. I have a great recipe for braised orange chicken with scallops...yummy!

    ReplyDelete