Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fish Tacos

Several things have happened that are worth getting excited about...
  1. The weather has been glorious.  I'm loving the mild temperatures and the sunshine.  I'm not thinking about how hot the summer could be.
  2. No more Saturday work days... busy season is done.
  3. I made fish tacos.

I thought fish tacos were a little strange the first time that I had them, but since I have discovered how to make them myself, they are one of my favorite warm weather dishes.

Here's what you'll get if you come to my place for dinner and fish tacos are on the menu:

 

Diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, lemons...

 

fun salsa...

 

black beans, and cheese (and sour cream and hot sauce) to go along with your tacos.

 

The fish itself is so easy to make.  First, I combine flour, grated Parmesan cheese, and several different seasonings.  I usually use garlic salt, seasoning salt, pepper, cumin, and parsley. 

 

Then, I use tilapia fillets that I cut down the middle.  After rinsing and slicing, I just dredge each piece in my flour mixture.

 

Next, heat up a skillet with a small bit of oil.  When the oil is hot, place the fish in the skillet to cook.  Cook the fish on each side for a few minutes.


Once you have cooked the fish on each side, you can make a small slice into the fish, and it should be white if it is done.  Remove the fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

 

Then, serve them up on warm corn tortillas with all the previously disclosed toppings.  It pairs deliciously with cilantro lime rice and guacamole.  These are so light and yummy and easy for a spring or summer meal!

Here's the recipe for the fish:

Fish Tacos

1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Garlic salt
Seasoning salt
Black pepper
Cumin
Parsley
4 tilapia fillets, rinsed and cut into 8 strips

Combine the flour, cheese and seasonings in a shallow dish.   Don't by shy with the seasoning.  The mixture should be potent to give the fish a good flavor.  Dredge the fish in the flour mixture.  Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; when the oil is hot, place the fish in the skillet.  Cook the fish on each side for 3-4 minutes.  The fish will be white when it is done.  Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.  Serve on warm corn tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, salsa, and whatever else you can dream up!




No comments:

Post a Comment