Sunday, March 18, 2012

Thin Mint Truffles

Alright, I promised a St. Patrick's Day surprise, but I'm just now getting it to you because I spent my day yesterday, chasing the end of the rainbow.  I never found it, nor the pot of gold.  I tried to write a limerick along the way about my adventure, but couldn't remember how beats there were to a line.

But, what I did find was a recipe for these yummy truffles.  I was looking for something that was easy and quick. 


I dearly love Thin Mints if you couldn't tell from the most recent post.  So, thin mint truffles sounded delicious when I saw the recipe!  I did make a few adaptions to the original-- here's what I did.


Start with these yummy ingredients: cream cheese, thin mints, and almond bark.


Then, I grabbed some green sprinkles to make these little guys festive.  I love the look of green on white.


Pull out your best friend in the kitchen, aka your food processor.  It will make the job go so fast.  If you don't have a food processor, you can just throw the cookies into a bag and smash them with a rolling pin.  I started with half the package and added the rest by twos and threes as it was chopping. 

 

I chopped them until they were very fine crumbs.

 

Next, combine the chopped cookies with the cream cheese.  When you first mix the two, it will look very crumbly.  But, after about another minute, it will pull together.

 
Roll the mixture into bite-size balls.  I got about two dozen.  Place on a wax paper or parchment paper covered cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.



Melt the almond bark in a bowl in the microwave or a double boiler.  I used just over half the package.



I tossed (gently) two truffles at a time in the almond bark.  I used a fork to scoop them out and let the excess coating drip off.  Then, I slid the truffle back onto the cookie sheet with another fork.  A toothpick would be ideal instead of a fork, but I've unintentionally maintained a kitchen without toothpicks.  It's just never something I think about when I go to the grocery store.  I'm going to put it on my list right now. 


Add the sprinkles to the truffles, and you're done!  These should be kept in the fridge and pulled out a bit before serving.


Happy St. Patrick's Day, one day late!


Here's the recipe:

Thin Mint Truffles

1 package thin mint cookies (Girl Scout or Keebler will work great)
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
Almond bark
Sprinkles of your choice

In a food processor, pulse the cookies and blend them until they are a very fine crumb.  I suggest starting with half the package and then adding two or three cookies at a time after that.

Next, combine the cookies and the cream cheese and mix until well combined.  Roll the mixture into bite-sized balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Melt the almond bark in the microwave or double boiler according to the package directions.  Dip the truffles into the almond bark.  Scoop them out with a fork and tap the fork along the side of the bowl to allow the extra coating to drain off.  Place the truffle back onto the cookie sheet.  Add the sprinkles of your choice.

Refrigerate until it is time to serve and refrigerate leftovers, if there are any.  :)

2 comments: