Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Notes

Just a few notes and a few other things.

1.  We are T-minus 35 days from April 17.  If you haven't done your taxes, you probably should.  I'm really talking to myself.

2.  I'm excited that daylight savings started.  I like it being light longer in the evenings, and it's making me very ready for summer.

3.  PW's new cookbook came out today.  I'm planning to buy myself a "Happy April 15th" gift.

4.  It's been busy here; so I haven't cooked much.  I have a special surprise planning for St. Patrick's Day, though.

On to other things....

I recently traveled to Utah for my family's annual ski trip.  Here are just a few notes and illustrations of what you may or may not expect to experience on this trip.


Your day will begin with a stop in the lodge to make sure all your clothing is properly situated.  While you do this, you place your skis and poles along the rail.  One of you will have to stand guard, because it never fails that one small bump will cause a horribly loud crash that you will soon realize was all the skis falling over in a domino effect.


The skies will be a beautiful blue color and the sun will be bright! Hope you wore sunscreen!  If you didn't, I'm told there is such a thing as a goggle tan contest.


You might feel inspiration to go down a black slope or two, because your 12 year-old sister can.


It will soon be lunch time.  If you happened to bring a backpack on the trip, it might be commandeered to be used for a lunch bag.  You may have also been elected to make lunch or carry the bag up from the car to the lodge.  I somehow got out of lunch duty this year.


While you are waiting for the lunch bag to get up to the lodge, you might want to lay your head down and rest for a second.  You might also turn your head away to avoid your sister's camera.


When lunch arrives, it is so delicious.  You'll probably eat a ton since you are starving.


Expect to have your picture taken and even some videos while you are skiing.


Then, you can always go back and enjoy the experience and know how cool you are because you can jump like this.  That's not me, but my brother.


And sometimes there's just no easy way down; only the "Easier Way" is available.  This is bad news if you are 8 years-old and are tired from your first two days of skiing.  You'll be grateful that grandparents are in the lodge and you can rest with them.


Your day might end early because of equipment malfunction.   Others will volunteer to sit with you, and you all will form a greeting committee for those that are still skiing.

 

But, while you were skiing, you sure did get to enjoy some beautiful views!


You'll get to enjoy some delicious treats.  It will be a joyous occasion when you see that the Girl Scouts are selling cookies in the grocery store parking lot near your grandmother's house.  It's even better when you've been having chocolate cravings all day!  

You might also find out that your brother has turned in to a barista and makes yummy raspberry hot chocolate.


Your trip will conclude with a baby shower for your first niece, Alexandra Rose. 

 

Then, as you are on your way home, making your flight connection, you might find out that your flight was delayed.  To make the best of it, you buy a book and some fro yo.  It's a little melty because I might have walked 20 gates or so to get it.  I walked so much in the Denver airport; that place is massive.  Condoleezza Rice's memoirs have been wonderful so far.


But, as you enjoy your fro yo, your flight got cancelled and they had to put you up for the night.  But, don't worry, they'll take good care of you and get you home be dinner the following day.


I really couldn't think of a better vacation or way to spend a long weekend in March! 

2 comments:

  1. this post was AWESOME Emily!!!!!!! I just LOOVED it!!!! I totally felt like I was a part of yall's trip!!! So glad you had a good time!!! Cant wait to see you soon!!!
    Ps. been meaning to give you my blog: katenb.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm creative" "No, you're a barista."

    ReplyDelete