Sunday, February 26, 2012

Banana Bread

Today I set up a bakery and made a ton of banana bread.  I had some bananas in my fridge and freezer that were very ripe and begging to be made into banana bread.


This is the best banana bread recipe.  It's wonderful and delicious.  The original recipe is technically called "Banana Nut Cake".  And cake, it truly is.

 

Here are all ingredients that that go into this treat.  You'll notice that there are chocolate chips.  That's not part of the original recipe, but my special addition.


First, cream the butter and sugar.  Second, add the bananas.  Third, add your eggs.  Then, in goes the sour cream.  This is for sure what makes this recipe extra special.  The vanilla also goes in at this point.  And as always, the dry ingredients and walnuts (or chocolate chips) go in at the end.  


This recipe bakes up wonderfully as a loaf and as muffins.

 

The muffins bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.  They come out of the oven a lovely golden brown.  


 

So, I told you I practically had a bakery going on today.  I had so many bananas, which meant I ended up with a ridiculous amount of muffins!

 

There's a lot here and there were more still in the oven!

 
So, to celebrate reaching the halfway point of busy season, I'll give them as gifts to my friends. Beware, if you run into me this week, I may have a gift for you! 

Banana Nut Cake
From: Ms. Colleen
2 cups sugar
½ cup butter, softened
3 bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts (or 1 cup chocolate chips or both!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream sugar and butter; add mashed bananas; then the eggs.  Stir well then add sour cream and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients—flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, gradually.  Fold in walnuts.

This will make 2 small (mini) loaves or 1 large loaf or lots of muffins.

Baking times are as follows:
Mini loaf – 45 minutes
Large Loaf – 55 minutes
Muffins – 25 minutes

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so I am trying to figure out how I can "RUN INTO" you today!!! I want me som-o-them babies!!!! I think I am going to make these for our ladies dessert night tonight!! Off to get the bananas out of the freezer!! Woohooo, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, you crack me up! Emily, these just look beautiful! The original recipe came from Colleen many years ago, but it is one of the best recipes I've had. But your packaging . . . makes them look so yummy. Wish you could be there tonight at our Ladies Night Out. We'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet stamp, save some for saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Emily, I made these as mini muffins for the ladies last night. I added a frosting with sour cream, banana, vanilla, half and half, and powdered sugar and then topped it with a dried banana chip. They are fabulous muffins and Charley and Joshua are loving the leftovers!! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline-- you got it! Marianne, I'll have to get the specifics on that icing. It sounds wonderful! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete