Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kale Chips

Yes, you read that right.  Kale chips.

I recently made a soup that called for kale, but didn't need the whole bunch.  So, with the remaining bit, I made kale chips.  When I first made this soup, I had never purchased kale before in my life.  I had read about it and how it was supposed to be super healthy for you and have the really great health benefits.  But, who eats just plain kale?  And I sure don't know about very many recipes that have kale in them.  Then, when I didn't need it all for the soup, I was perplexed about what to do with my leftover kale.  And confession: I hate wasting food.  So, even though I think kale is only $1 per bunch,  I still couldn't waste it. 

 

But, then I remembered reading about a recipe for kale chips in Real Simple.  It was an old issue, but I knew there was a reason I saved all those!  I was skeptical as you might be right now, but I was soon convinced!


Kale is super hearty.  So, first wash your kale.  Then, tear it up into small pieces.  You'll want to remove the ribs; they would be rather unpleasant to eat.


Next, toss the kale with some olive oil until they are lightly coated.


Place them on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper or seasoning salt (personal favorite) or garlic salt.  Bake them for 15-20 minutes at 350.


After 15 minutes or so, you'll have a wonderful bunch of crispy kale that really does taste like chips.  Just remember that because it is hearty, just a few will fill you up. :)  The leftovers keep great in the fridge.

Now, for a bonus economic lesson.  Kale, as I mentioned above, is only about $1 per bunch.  I can't help but think as people figure out how good this stuff is for you that they'll raise the price a bit.  As demand rises, so does the price.  So, quick, get to your grocery store and buy kale and try this before everyone is rushing the produce section to get their own!!  Ok, maybe they won't.  But, you should definitely try this $1 experiment. 


Kale Chips

Any desired amount of kale
Olive oil
Seasoning of your choice-- salt and pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt

Wash and tear the kale into small pieces.  Be sure to remove the ribs.  Toss with olive oil until lightly coated.  Place on baking sheet and season as desired.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Cool!! I just pinned this to my Pinterest board so that I can try it next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks...interesting. I'm eager to try it though. I LOVE snacking on chips. Maybe this will provide me with a healthier option. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete