Friday, November 8, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken Sausage

I made some butternut squash soup for dinner.  Well, I made it twice on the same day actually.  You see, I learned a valuable lesson the first time that I made the soup.  It wasn't related to the butternut squash, the onions, carrots, or any other ingredients.  No, it was the method.  I shall share the disastrous story with you so that you will not make the same mistake.


You might notice that the tag line on my blog is "adventures in my kitchen", which would imply sometimes there are success stories and sometimes not.  Today had both.

I saw this recipe for butternut squash soup on Two Peas and Their Pod that you make in the crock pot.  It looked delicious, and I love crock pots, simply because you dump in the ingredients and let it do its magic.  So, this recipe calls for the use of an immersion blender.  I've never used an immersion blender, and I've never used a crock pot liner (plastic bag).  This is a bad combo.  This is a particularly bad combo when you have a tired CPA and tax attorney trying to cook on a Thursday night.  We thought it would be fine to use the liner and then just blend the soup with the blender in the bag.  Not. A. Good. Idea.

I really should have thought of it when I came home from work and started blending it.  But, it's Friday night, and I was more tired than I thought.  I'm sure I don't need to explain what happened next.  Really, I know it was a bad idea.  Complete epic fail.

So, I mentioned I made it twice in one night.  So, back to the grocery store I ran for more ingredients since my friends and I needed something for dinner.  And here is what I came up with.  It was so, so good.  In the words of my roommate, it's fall in a bowl. 


Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken Sausage

Inspired/adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

6 cups chopped butternut squash*
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 green apple, peeled and chopped
chicken or vegetable broth base
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 chicken sausages, sliced (I used the Johnsonville brand flavored with apple)
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the broth base, butternut squash, onion, carrots, and apple.  Cook for 20 minutes or until all the veggies are soft.  Once cooked, scoop out the veggies and measure out 28 ounces of the cooking liquid.  Recombine the veggies and liquid together and blend together with an immersion blender.  (If you don't have an immersion blender, you can blend it in batches in a blender).  Once the soup is fully blended, heat on low heat and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, salt & pepper, and sausage.  Heat the soup until the sausage is warmed completely through.  Serve with a garnish of sour cream, if desired. 


* If you have never peeled and chopped a butternut squash, do not be afraid.  I did it a few times this week, and it's not as hard as you might think it would be.  Here's a great tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment