Monday, June 24, 2013

Peach Cobbler

If any of you have peaches that need to be consumed, I have a delicious method for you to do so.  I know they taste great just by themselves, but, oh, they are heavenly when they are baked into a cobbler and served with homemade vanilla ice cream.  I have been craving peach cobbler-- it just tastes like summer!

I stumbled across this blog called The Law Student's Wife last night and enjoyed looking at a few of her recipes.  She has a few that look wonderful.  But, one in particular caught my eye....

Yes, you guessed it-- Prize Peach Cobbler!


And yes, you remembered that I had peaches from the fruit stand from this weekend.  No, they didn't make their way into the freezer, but instead several of them were baked into my cobbler. :)

Here's the recipe.  I did make one alteration-- I added a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.  It was so, so good.  I just have to stop there or else I would go on all night!

Prize Peach Cobbler
From “The Law Student’s Wife”, with a slight addition
Serves 6-8

3/4 cups all-purpose flour 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoon baking powder 
1 3/4 cup sugar, divided 
3/4 cup milk 
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter 
3 cup fresh, ripe peaches* (5-6 peaches) 
a dash of cinnamon
a dash of nutmeg

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix in 1 cup sugar. Slowly stir in milk to make batter.
  2. Melt butter in deep casserole dish (about 3 quarts). Pour batter over melted butter. Do not stir.
  3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully add peaches (I use tongs) and boil for about 1 minute. Remove peaches from pot and plunge into a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Skins can now be easily removed with fingers. Slice peaches into bite-sized pieces.
  4. In a clean bowl, Mix the peeled, sliced peaches and 3/4 cup sugar thoroughly and carefully spoon them over the batter..
  5. Bake 1 hour. Batter should be nicely browned on top before removing from oven. Top with heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.

*Ingredient tip: Be sure peaches are ripe and slightly soft—place in brown paper bag on counter-top for a few days to ripen if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment