Thursday, April 19, 2012

Turgor Pressure

Today, I have a science lesson for you.  I learned it recently from my aunt and was amazed.

Here's the definition from dictionary.com:

turgor pressure
noun.
Also called: hydrostatic pressure; the pressure exerted on a plant cell wall by water passing intot he cell by osmosis

Basically if you have celery that is going limp from being the fridge one day too long, I know how to fix it.  It's all based off of this scientific principle.


Simply cut off the ends of the celery and place in a cup of water for a few hours.  As it sits in the water, turgor pressure will be created and return your celery to as good as new.  Science.  It's amazing, I tell you.

2 comments:

  1. who knew?! i'll have to try that sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard that term before. How neat! We do this with lettuce, whether or not it's wilting. You can bet it's in need of more moisture, simply from sitting without water for a time. We slice the brown stem thinly, so that the fresh stem is exposed. Soak it in the sink, filled with cold water, and your lettuce should remain fresh for quite a while longer. I run it in the salad spinner afterwards.

    ReplyDelete