Thursday, January 19, 2012

Strawberry Cake

I should be packing for my trip this weekend, but I wanted to tell you about a cake that will, in the words of my friend, "make you want to slap your momma."  I like cake, in case you couldn't tell from my earlier post, but this one is my favorite, and in my opinion, takes the cake... uh, I mean, tops them all.


This is strawberry cake is made with real strawberries.  I used to not like strawberry cake at all before I tasted this one.  Ever since, I've been a strawberry cake enthusiast, and it's the cake that I've chosen for my birthday and other special occasions for the past several years.  In fact, I made this cake last weekend for my birthday.  The original recipe is from "The Cake Mix Doctor" cookbook, but I've made a few adjustments to it.


Here are most of the ingredients.  Pretend that the strawberry jello below is also in the picture above.


This recipe is so easy, because all you do is mash up the strawberries and mix all the ingredients together.  The original recipe calls for fresh strawberries.  But, as you might guess, fresh strawberries are hard to come by in January when my birthday always hits (fancy it always is in January!).  So, to remedy this problem, I use whole frozen berries and let them thaw a little bit before mashing.


Now, this is a three layer cake.  So, you have to make two recipes to get three good size layers.  The fourth layer will freeze nicely wrapped in saran wrap and inside a freezer bag.



After the layers are baked and cooled, it's time for the icing that, you guessed it, also has strawberries in it.  It's a basic cream cheese frosting with coconut, pecans and mashed strawberries.


Cream the butter and cream cheese, then add the sugar and strawberries.  After it is well incorporated, add the pecans and coconut. 


The icing may be thin, so you can add a bit more sugar, if you feel that it's needed.


You can see that the cake started to split on the top. You can avoid this by shaving off the round top on the middle layer.


OR.... you can cover it all up with icing and no one will ever know.  It will make it extra yummy because there is more icing inside the top layer.


Then, when you get to this point, you should be sure you have a cup of coffee to enjoy the cake with.


And it is inevitable, my plate is always scraped clean. 

I hope you enjoy the recipe.  And perhaps it'll make you a strawberry cake enthusiast, too!

Here the recipe...


Strawberry Cake 
(this recipe will make two layers)
1 white cake mix
1 small pkg. strawberry gelatin
1 cup of mashed strawberries (1 1/2 cups whole)
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil   
4 eggs

Blend everything in mixer on low for one minute. Then at medium speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 350 for 28-30 in well greased round pans.


Strawberry Icing

(one recipe is enough for a three layer cake)

8 oz. cream cheese at room temp.
1 stick of butter at room temp.
3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
3/4 cup mashed strawberries, well drained  (1 cup whole)
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans 

Combine cream cheese and butter for 30 seconds on low. Add sugar and strawberries till sugar is incorporated on low for 1 minute. Then medium speed until well mixed. Fold in pecans and coconut.


2 comments:

  1. I will be making this recipe for sure!!! Branson LOVES Strawberry cake so I've got to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete